The Maine Cheese Guild is thrilled to announce our Inaugural Maine Cheese Awards celebrating the many talents of our Maine cheese making community. This soon to be annual event will be open to all licensed Maine cheesemakers with no limitations or exclusions. Winners will be announced on the Main Stage at the Maine Cheese Festival and the top Best-in Show awardees will be featured online (in accordance with fda requirements) while supplies last. In addition participants and winners will be featured in our post event media including social media and national press campaign. It goes without saying, the Guild is proud of the many talented artisans and we are excited to celebrate and the many delicious Maine cheeses.
Award Instructions and Rules
- Creameries must be licensed.
- All cheese entries must be made, gathered, or processed within the state of Maine using Maine milk..
- Cheese makers may submit up to a total of 8 cheeses.
- Submit a minimum of 1lbs per entry
- Wrapped and labeled cheese must include the category entry sheet with each cheese.
- Submissions will be accepted beginning Friday, September 3, 2021
- Deadline for cheese submissions will be Thursday, September 9, 2021
- Judging will take place on Friday, September 10, 2021
- Send cheese entries to:
545 Congress Street
Portland, ME 04101
deliver in person Friday, Saturday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday between 11:00 am and 10 pm
Judging will be anonymous and tastings conducted blind by a panel of five guests judges.
Categories of cheese will include all milks
1. Fresh Cheese
2. Flavored Fresh Cheese
2. Bloomy Rind
3. Washed Rind Cheese
4. Aged Cheese natural rind
5. Flavored Cheese - aged (internal or external)
6. Blue Cheese
Cheese will be assessed based on appearance, texture, consistency, and taste.
Judging will consist of a 10-point scale, rating each assessment on a scale of 1 to 10.
Each category will have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place, based on judges scores.
Awards for overall Best-in-Show and a Special Recognition will also be determined.
Top three Best-in-Show cheese will be featured for sale in Maine Cheese Guild Award Box